Monday, July 13, 2009

I thought, for the first (well, second) official post of Alia Porci, you might enjoy a photographic introduction to the characters and environs that are a part of my life, as well as a little information on them, too. This is home. And, as Jane Austen says, "There is nothing like staying at home for real comfort." 



This is my house. Originally built in 1963 as a gift for the children of our neighbors, we chose it for the proximity to the high school I was attending. We moved in the summer of 2001. 



<span class=
Our newly-installed porch swing. Though it's not exactly on the porch, it does all the things porch swings are supposed to...creak comfortingly, hold your weight and that of a friend nicely and crush your legs on the downswing if you're not careful. I love this swing; it's a simple pleasure, but one thing we never had in Pakistan. And it's so quintessentially Southern- y'all come on down and sit a spell.


<span class=
My beautiful mum. Making faces! 

<span class=
Jasper, my canine companion and co-conspirator. A shepherd-rottweiler mix that someone abandoned on my sister's college campus; their loss entirely. He brings joy and happiness to me every day (provided, of course he gets the odd tummy-rub).




Oscar, our African Grey. Attached mostly to my dad, the rest of us are his loyal and fearful subjects. He is the feathered center of the universe (and sings a mean cover of "Who Let the Dogs Out?").















Where the magic happens. Our kitchen.



Next time, join me in downtown Franklin, where the South lost its Cause, where you can get antiquarian books or a brass-topped cane a quick walk from homemade hashbrowns and where your classmates' dad probably has a Grammy.


No comments:

Post a Comment